Sep 7, 2008

Opinions On Tax Policy Proposals

Always cut taxes! According to the Supply-side economics, a lower tax creates incentives to produce goods and services and thus would stimulate the economy.
I don’t know too much about the Supply-side economics and the theory behind it. I guess the essence of the Supply-side would be that government should let you keep your money because you can spend it more wisely than the government does, besides a lower tax rate will make you work harder.
But a tax cut has exactly the same effect as the tax rebate does, irrespective to the distribution. So if supply-side works well, the federal government should have sent you a much bigger check for the rebate. The reason it didn’t was that it has to take into consideration the budget balance, which didn’t fare well in recent years.
The notion that tax cut is always good and tax hike is bad showed mixed results. Reagan cut taxes and Clinton hiked taxes, the economy prospered in both periods.

Cut tax and it will pay for itself.
This one is vague and depends on how you read it. I see it as that tax cut would cut federal receipts, but as the economy grows, so would the amount of receipts though as a lower rate. That said, I must crystallize two points. First, tax cuts reduce short run revenue, although tax hikes won’t necessarily increase it, according to the Laffer curve. Second, it’s still a tax-spending dichotomy.

US has the second highest corporate tax rate in the world (next to that of Japan), and it stymies the competitiveness of Corporate America.
You would surely agree if you are a CEO or a stock holder, because the guys in suits would reap from the idea. Nonetheless, you would possibly hesitate on the competitiveness part, since no MNCs claimed to expand foreign operations citing the intolerably high corporate tax. Some other considerations carry more weight.

Annihilate death tax! It doesn’t sound right.
If you expect to inherit no more than $2 million, skip this one because you don’t owe anything on the 2007 standard. Otherwise I totally side with you on this one. I mean, if your parent leave you $10 million and you can only pocket $6.5 million instead of hundred percent (simply by birth right), it would be devastating.

0 comments: